From JISC Standards Catalogue
- Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH)
- Metadata Harvesting Standards
- Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH). The OAI-PMH specification standard defines a protocol by which one service (harvester) can gather or "harvest" metadata records from a second service (repository). Requests are sent in the form of HTTP GET or POST requests, and responses are returned as XML documents.
- OAI-PMH is a specification of the Open Archives Initiative (OAI).
- The current version of OAI-PMH is version 2.0. Versions 1.0 and 1.1 were experimental versions.
Version 2 of the protocol has been stable since release and any future version should be backwards compatible.
- Risk Assessment
- Take-up Elsewhere
- OAI-PMH has played a significant role in JISC development programmes, such as the FAIR programme and the repositories and preservation strand of the JISC Capital Programme
- Further Information
- Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting, Version 2.0, Open Archives Initiative, <http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html>
- OAI for Beginners - the Open Archives Forum online tutorial, Open Archives Forum, <http://www.oaforum.org/tutorial/>
- Pete Johnston
Monica Duke (responsible for entry from September 2006)
- Date Created
- 04 Oct 2005
v2 (updated by Monica Duke 27th October 2006)
v1 (created by Pete Johnston)
A standards entry for OAI-PMH is also available in the eReSS Wiki