In light of the cessation of core funding for the Innovation Support
Centre at UKOLN after 31 July 2013 we are providing notification of the
planned withdrawal of this service after 31 April 2013.
From JISC Standards Catalogue
- Image Standards
- The standard file format for compressed 24 bit images. This format is offered by most digital cameras. The standard was first developed by the Joint Photographic Experts Group.
- Information on ownership of standard.
- JPEG (JFIF) version 1.02
- JPEG is a mature, widely supported format.
- Risk Assessment
- Use of this format is widespread, though it may face competition from file formats that use lossless compression in the near future.
- Take-up Elsewhere
- JPEG is the dominant file format for photorealistic (raster) images on the Web.
- Further Information
- Nigel Goldsmith, TASI
- Date Created
- 11 10 2006